Gomedh / Hessonite (for Rahu). The shadow planet Rahu is supposed
to be responsible for all sorts of delays or very late fulfillment
of ambitions. Gomedh can help in achieving speedy success in less
time than expected.
- Gomedh also improves dealing with people and protects its wearer
from sudden misfortunes.
- This is normally reddish-chocholate in colour. Gomedh is cold
- It cures diseases caused by affliction of Rahu and Saturn. It
also increases appetite, vitality, confers good health, wealth
and happiness and all round prosperity. It is said to be the best
gem to avert stomach ailments, disaster, insanity, and evil spirits
- It should be used in silver on Saturday on 2nd finger of right
hand. The weight should be 6, 11, 13 grams.
- Its name comes from Greek 'esson' meaning 'inferior'. As these
gems are regarded to be less valuable.
- Gomedh is a Gem of garnet family. Magnets can pull these Gems
which is a very special phenomenon, as magnets otherwise pull
only certain metals. Chemically it is known as Grossular.
- It is found in number of colours like green and pink but generally
it is orange brown.
- It has a hardness of 7.25 on the Moh's Scale, specific gravity
is 3.65 and Refractive Index is 1.74.
It is available in abundance. It is found in India, Sri Lanka,
Brazil, Australia, Tanzania, South Africa, Burma, Mexico, Russia,
Italy, Kenya, Canada, U.S.A, and Malaysia.
In India it is found in Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan and Bihar.
Gaya mines in Bihar are the biggest source of this gem. Recently,
very good quality of this Gem has been found in Orissa.
This Gem contains inclusions, which look like scattered islands,
or flat bubbles. The colour is like honey shining under a ray of
light. The inside, when viewed under magnification looks like a
thick sticky liquid and certain areas look out of shape with lesser