Red Coral/(Praval or Moonga (for Mars): It is said
that Red Coral instills courage in its user. It also helps in curing
blood -related diseases.
- This is normally red in color.
- Coral ensures material happiness, recovery from diseases indicated
by Mars such as fever, cough, bilious complaints, smallpox, chickenpox,
headache, loss of vitality, piles, boils, measles etc.
- It should be worn in silver or copper, and should be of 9, 11,
12 grams, on Tuesday on 1st or 4th finger of right hand. It is
a hot stone.
- The name diamond comes from the Greek 'adamas', meaning 'invincible'
in recognition of its exceptional hardness, which makes it, resist
any form of abrasion by other minerals.
- Coral is a product of sea. It is formed from the calcareous
skeletons of myriads of tiny polyps (which means insect with many
feet) which live in vast colonies in warm waters at a moderate
depth. It is composed chiefly of calcium carbonate. This is arranged
as fibres radiating from the central axis of the curving coral
- Its specific Gravity is 2.68 and hardness is less than 4 on
the Moh's scale. It is an opaque stone.
- Many forms of coral exist but only high quality Red, Pink, Blue;
Black and white corals are used in jewellery.
Corals are found in India, Italy, Australia, Sri Lanka, Japan,
Malasia, South, Africa, Algeria and U.S.A.
In India corals are found at number of places around the coast.
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the Lakshadweep are coral islands
and corals are found all around them.
Coral, being an opaque gem it is very difficult to identify it
. A lot of eye practice is required to differentiate between a natural
and a man made coral. Natural corals, if seen under magnification
always talk the story of their origin. They have black marks, which
are actually holes.
A very careful examination is required to identify a natural coral.
As real corals are not very clear and if clear they are very costly.
Manmade corals are very commonly found in the market places being
sold as real corals.