Directions continuously exert their influence on the human life.
If the line that spans east-west in the middle of the house is used
properly, the inhabitants get prosperity. This equator line is like
the backbone of the house. If it is not used properly, it may lead
to breaking of the owner's backbone. If it is used properly according
to the law of the nature, the house proves to be the most fortunate
one for the inmates.
ISHANYAM ISHVARAY NAMAH
If the north-eastern portion of the house is well illuminated by
the Sun, the inhabitants have full grace of the Lord. Amarkosh (a
sanskrit lexicon) mentions the directions. Thus!
SURYAH SHUKRO MAHOSUNUH RACHARBHANU BHOJUJO VIDHAS
| BUDHO BRIHARACHATISHCHETI DISHA CHAIN GRAHAH ||
According to the shloka, directions of the planets are:
DIRECTIONS OF THE ZODIAC SIGNS
Aries, Leo, Sagittarius - East
Gemini, Libra Aquarius - West
Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn - South
Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces - North
CHANGE IN NATURE ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS
Nature of the house owner changes as per the orientation of its
entrance. It is because of the influence of the planet that rules
that direction in which the entrance faces.
If the entrance of a house faces east, its ruling planet the Sun
makes the owner of the house abiding to the truth, ambitious and
courageous. He would have particular liking for acrid vegetables
like bitter gourd, fenugreek etc.
If the entrance is in the south-east direction, it is ruled by
Shukra (Venus). Hence, the owner would have a variety of tastes
and special liking for luxuries.
If the entrance faces south, it is ruled by Mangal (Mars). Accordingly,
the owner would be courageous, haughty, outrageous and stubborn.
He will specially relish spicy, delicious foods.
If the entrance faces south-west, it is ruled by Rahu. Nature of
the owner will be according to it. He will be licentious, engaged
in illegal activities, savant of cryptic scriptures and talismans
etc. He will specially relish stale food.
If the entrance faces west, it is ruled by Shani (Saturn). Accordingly
the owner will be serious, prudent, tolerant and responsible. He
relishes food items cooked in oil and bitter and cold foods.
If the entrance faces north-west, it is ruled by Chandra (Moon).
According to it, the owner is of instable mind, sentimental, fond
of travelling and soft-spoken. He is also fond of eating vegetables
cooked with excess of salt.
If the entrance faces north it is ruled by Brihaspati (Jupiter).
Accordingly, the owner will be religiously inclined, altruistic,
talkative and scholar of some particular subject and driven by whimsical
fantasies. He is fond of sweet items as well.
If the entrance faces north-east, it is ruled by Buddh (Mercury).
Accordingly, the owner will be intelligent, humorous, litterateur
and active. He relishes everything but in moderation.
CHARACTERISTICS OF AN IDEAL HOUSE
Our earth has a spherical shape flattened at the poles. Hence,
an ideal house must have an oval shape. Expansion of earth is more
in east-west directions, hence an ideal house must have an east-west
expansion. Mid portion of the earth is bulging, hence mid part of
the house must be somewhat elevated. The Sun illuminates the earth
from the east, hence the main entrance of the house must face in
similar direction. Sun is the creator, giver of life, hence it is
worshipped in many countries since millennia.
ASITYASYNAMASKARAM YE KURVANT| DINE-DINE |
JANMANTAR SAHATRESHU DARIDRAYAM NOPAJAYTE ||
that is, those who salute the Sun daily remain immune to penury
for many births. Purposely our ancestors have made it mandatory
to keep the main entrance facing east, so that the sun rays could
exert their beneficial effect on the magnetic field of the house.
Sun rays are a sure way to energize life. Uttarayana and Dakshinayana
(northward and southward) movements of the Sun have their unique
significance. In this context, south-east and north-east directions
too have their unique importance. These points are given special
attention in VAASTU Shastra.
- Most of the windows must face the east and the south directions.
- Entrance of the house must face the east or south-east.
- There must be more open spaces in north and east of the house.
- Verandah must be kept in the east or south-east.
- Source of water like well, tank, handpump or overhead tank must
be in the north, east or north-east directions.
- Terrace must be in the east or south-east on the first floor.
- Thicker walls must be erected in the west, south and south-west
- Big trees must not be planted in the east or south-east directions.
- Kitchen must necessarily be located in the Agneya Kona (South-east).
Such a location will enable the kitchen to receive more sun and
- Stable, cattle shed and garage must be built in the Vavavya
- Provide drainage for rainwater and used water in the Ishaanya
- Drawing room, study room or any other important room related
to administration of the household must be built in north or east
- Toilet, bathrooms, gutter, manhole as well as drainage for their
effluents must be provided in Vayuvya Kona (north-west) or west.
- Temple or worship rooms must be built in Ishaanya (north-east)
- Water storage tank, cooler etc. must be kept in Vayavya Kona
- Chest, lockers, almirah etc. which are used for storing valuables
must be kept or provided with in the north or Ishaanya (north-east)
- Never keep or build water-storing or retrieving facilities in
Nairitya Kona (South-west).
- Never build bedrooms in Nairtya Kona (south-west) as sleeping
in that direction will cause lot of nightmares. Thus you will
never be able to have a sound sleep.
- Kitchen must not be located in the west and Nairitya Kona (South-west)
because the harmful rays that fall from those directions may spoil
the taste of your food.
- Build your toilet and keep dustbins in the west.
- Unnecessary things should not be kept in Nairitya Kona (South-west).
AN IDEAL HOME
Everyone builds his home with an intention of cozy living. Similarly
offices, commercial complexes, shops, cinema halls, theatres, hotels,
restaurants etc. are built with a purpose of flourishing business.
Churches, mosques, Guruduaras, temples are built for tranquility.
Hence regardless of the specificity of the purpose, all these buildings
must be built complying exactly to the principles of VAASTU Shastra
keeping following things in mind:
- The building must have ample open space all around.
- Northern and eastern sides of the building must have more open
spaces as compared to western and southern sides.
- The building must be kept higher in the south and the west.
- In three or four storeyed buildings, terraces must be provided
in southern or eastern sides.
- Balconies too must be provided in eastern or southern side.
There should be more windows to the east and south as compared
to north and west.
- Thick walls must be erected in the south and west.
- There should be more doors opening to the north and east than
south and west.
- Boundary wall must be raised higher in the south and the west
than that in the north and the east.
- There must be an even number of the doors and the windows (i.e.
divisible by 2) in a building.
- Verandah must be provided in the north or the east. Its ceiling
must be kept at somewhat lower lever than rest of the rooms.
- Verandah should not be provided in the south or west.
Thus VAASTU Shastra suggests house building strictly according
to scientific methods so that the inmates can flourish in every
way and enjoy all the comforts. There are five physical elements
in the nature:
KSHITI-JALA-PAVAK GAGAN SAMIRA |
PANCH TATVA YEH ADHAM SHARIRA ||
This sinister body is composed of five elements- earth, water,
fire, ether and air. Hence the things composed of majority or minority
of any or all of these elements must be kept near that element otherwise
one has to face adverse outcome.
As, for example if electronic appliances, which have fire as major
element, are placed with water, these will experience deterioration.
SHAPE OF THE PLOT
A plot of land is the first and foremost prerequisite of a building.
While selecting a plot of land, you must be very careful regarding
its shape and the omens related to it.
AYATE SIDDHAYASSARVASHCHATVRASTRE DHANAGAMAH
KRITTETUBUDDHI VRIDDHIH SYADBHADRAM BHADRASANE BHAVEI ||
Rectangular (in which opposite sides are equal)shape of the plot
yields perfection in every field, square shape yields wealth, circular
shape of plot yields intelligence while Bhadrakar (many rectangular
plots of land connected to one-another with their lengths decreasing
sequentially while maintaining the basic shape) land proves beneficial
in all ways for the occupant.
Apart from these, there are many shapes (though highly uncommon)
in which plots are classified.
These shapes and their effects are as follows:
||Torture from the state
||Loss of wealth
||Loss of animal wealth.
||Loss of cattle stock
||Fears of particular things
||Gives pains and sufferings
||Excess of debts
||Loss of wealth
|Like beak of a crow
||Disputes and quarrels
||Obstacles in collecting money
||Happiness in poverty
||Different kinds of upheavals
||Dire economic condition, the owner
may take to begging.